Mis à jour : 14 août 2020
Avoiding Violence – How to recognize it before it happens! Recognizing the 7 Pre-Incident Indicators to Violence could save your life!
Lets clear some confusion and define both "Pre Incident Indicator" and "Pre Attack Indicator" to see how they differ.
Pre Incident Indicators are the collection of events or psychological manipulations that may are employed by the bad guys. They are tools predators use to draw in victims to utilize our next definition the Pre Attack Indicator.
Pre Attack Indicator- The action that occurs moments prior to the attack. They are the techniques used to initiate the attack on the victim. These are indicators that are used to alert potential victims that an imminent attack is about to occur. Review Pre Attack Indicators Here
In the book by Gavin de Beckern “The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence”. The book demonstrates how people should learn to trust the inherent “gift” of their instincts or intuition. Recognizing the various warning signs and precursors to violence, it becomes possible to avoid violence.
Recognizing Potential Threats Before They Happen
Generally, being alert and having good situational awareness, spotting anomalies; seeing and recognizing the clues that could indicate an attack is imminent. These are actions lets review the what are the little details to look for.
Gavin de Beckern book his The Gift of Fear suggests looking for these common schemes that criminals use to get off victims
1) Charm and Niceness. Predators disarm victims by being polite in order to manipulate them.
2) Too many details. The predator will lie by creating and communicate excessive details about themselves to make them seem more creditable and important.
3) Typecasting. The predator will draw in the victim by initiating a conversation by saying something insulting about the victim that they would otherwise have ignored. As an example “Oh, I bet you’re too stuck-up to talk to a guy like me.” Typically the victim falls for this trick and will engage to try to prove the insult untrue. Here are eight other types of bait used by predators.
4) Loan Sharking. The predator extended unsolicited help to a victim and makes the victim feel obliged to extend some reciprocal trust, openness, and relations in return.
5) Forced Teaming. Forced teaming is a technique utilized by predators to make themselves appear to have things in common with their victims to gain their confidence and let their guard down.
The predators will deceive and exploit the victim's trust with the goal of ingratiating themselves with their intended victims. appearing to have the victim’s best interests at heart.
Words and phrases used to exploit victims are the repeated use of “we” or "us". predators will use other terms indicating rapport or close relationships when interacting with victims when there is little or none. Predators will also use contrasting terms to put other groups of people in opposing silos as outsiders.
The Joint use of both the "we" and "them" techniques are an indicator of forced teaming.
6) Unsolicited Promises. The unsolicited promise is the number one most reliable red flags due to its nearly always of dubious motive. A promise to do (or not do) something when no such promise is asked for; this typically means that such a promise will be broken.
The second example: an unsolicited, “I promise I’ll leave you alone after this,” typically means the chosen victim will not be left alone. Likewise, an unsolicited “I promise I won’t hurt you” usually means the person intends to hurt their chosen victim.
7) Discounting the Word “No”. Refusing to accept rejection; not recognizing the word “NO”. The best defense against any of these is not to engage and reverse course away from the zone that the predator is operating in. If you find yourself already drawn in and speaking with someone. Once you become aware of these techniques be used on you, put yourself in orange alert and disengage, and move on.
More Self Defence Resources Skills & Tradecraft
About AxxNox Self Defence Skills and Tradecraft Magazine
AxxNox focuses on self-defense industry, education, news coverage, article stories. Online magazine that creates, curates, and reviews types of self-defense skills and tradecraft such as boxing, martial arts, and MMA. Skills, tips, techniques, videos, and moves for men and women. Visit AxxNox.com